Vice President of Government Relations
- - Indiana Electric Cooperatives
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
What We Are About
We are America's first electric cooperative service organization. We've been around since 1935, and, today, our member cooperatives serve more than 1.3 million individuals, families, farms and businesses across Indiana. With more than $2.4 billion in system infrastructure, we provide Hoosiers with reliable electric power while emphasizing environmentalism, sustainability and efficiency.
At Indiana Electric Cooperatives (IEC), we focus on our members and the communities we serve. We assist our 38 member cooperatives with an array of services that includes job and safety training, government relations, regulatory compliance support, professional development training, and communication. We provide our members with the support they need to power their communities.
What This Job Is About
As the vice president of government relations, you will work with your team and the membership to direct executive-level strategy as you plan and execute the association's state and federal governmental relations efforts. Those efforts include lobbying, political action, and grassroots initiatives. You will focus on continuing IEC's long-standing tradition of fostering relationships with legislators, policymakers, political leaders, regulatory agencies, and other opinion leaders at the state and federal levels of government. This role provides comprehensive analysis and timely communication to IEC's membership regarding proposed legislation, policy implications, and various other political matters. You will lead an exceptional government relations team and work in tandem with all departments at IEC.
The vice president of government relations is a key member of the IEC leadership team. The leadership team collaborates with the membership to develop and execute long-term plans, goals, and policies for IEC. The team's shared sense of accountability permeates all aspects of the association and its cohesive, member-focused outlook ensures your ideas and strategies will be fully supported by your fellow staff members.
What You are About
- Strong service mindset
- Outgoing and poised communication style
- Driven to achieve high quality results
- Enjoy taking initiative and being innovative
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Move at faster than average pace
- Competitive yet collaborative
- Naturally engage commitment of others
- Enjoy building collaborative relationships
- Curious and eager to listen and learn
- Enjoy varied tasks and responsibilities
- Holds a bachelor's degree in public policy, political science, business, or a related field.
- Have a minimum of eight years of experience with government relations, lobbying, policy development, management, budgeting, and complex problem solving.
- Valid driver's license
What You Will Get Out Of It
- Opportunity to be a thought leader supporting Indiana's electric cooperatives
- Ability to directly influence the rapidly changing landscape of utility policy
- Competitive salary
- Multiple opportunities for learning and development
- Supportive, engaging work culture and work/life balance
- Committed, innovative and dedicated colleagues working collaboratively in a high performing workplace
- Flexible work environment and paid time off
- Defined benefit pension plan
- 401(k) plan with company match
- Health, vision, life and disability insurance
- Identify theft insurance
- Workout facility membership
If you have the experience and abilities needed, and you are interested in learning more about this opportunity, please apply. Applications will be taken until Friday, July 26, 2019.
IEC is an equal opportunity employer. We look forward to reviewing your information!